21 Jun 2014

Review: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Diffused Heat

I don't think I've ever wanted a blush more than I've wanted an Ambient Lighting Blush - the packaging and the shade selection are just immaculate. Ever since they're release on the market I've been constantly fighting my urge to buy as I couldn't justify spending $50AUD on a blush to add to my overflowing collection.. But obviously you know my willpower has caved as I'm going to do a review on Diffused Heat for you right now.

I wanted to do this review for a while now but I'll be honest and tell you guys that I didn't use Diffused Heat for the first week of getting it as it was just too beautiful to use (don't judge guys, I know someone of you are like that about new products too!). However, after documenting it's perfection through 100 photos that look exactly the same, I have finally started using it. So, is this blush work the hefty price tag?

 photo P6143425_zps4c80ca34.jpg


One of the main reasons why I was so enchanted with the Ambient Lighting blushes is the packaging. This is without a doubt the most classic and stylish blush I currently own in my collection, and although it’s quite simple as it’s just one colour, it also makes it timeless. The sleek rose-gold packaging feels very sturdy and also houses a decent sized mirror which is great for traveling or on the go. If I had to pinpoint one thing that I didn’t like about the packaging it would be the ease of getting finger prints or smudges over the case. 

 photo P6143419_zpsba1ab014.jpg
 photo P6143441_zpsad8a306e.jpg

After months of trolling the internet, I already knew this blush would be on point and wouldn't disappoint my expectations, but I did have a little disheartening moment when I first swatched this product on my arm. My first initial swatch had little to no colour payoff at all, admittedly I probably didn't have a decent amount on my finger due to fear of ruining it's beauty. Therefore, I had another go at swatching, trying to build the colour on top of what I had swatched before, and still nothing. It took me about 5 attempted to achieve a decent swatch on my arm (pictured below) which still wasn't as pigmented as I thought it would be. 

Thinking I purchased a dud, I then went on to applying it with a brush, which I did go a little heavy on as there was no colour payoff with my finger and I ended up looking like a clown. So the moral of the story is don't judge a product by only swatching it, the only way to accurately decide is to trial it on your face.

 photo P6143430_zps00a3b9e6.jpg
 photo P6143439_zpsf133888a.jpg

The new formula Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blushes are said to combine the lighting effects of the Ambient Lighting Powders together with breathtaking modern hues, which results in "seamless, soft-focus and buildable colour". Now although I don't own any of the Ambient Lighting Powders so I cannot confirm whether the Blushes do have their lighting effects, but boy, oh boy is everything else correct! 

The product is very buildable - and I do suggest a slow, gradual build otherwise will end up looking like a porcelain doll. The powder itself is silky smooth and very finely milled, which makes it a breeze to blend to your desired intensity, but can be a little wasteful as the brush tends to pick up more product than necessarily needed. So I suggest to use a very light hand when packing the product onto your brush. The longevity of this blush was exceptional, I could wear this blush on top of any foundation and it did not fade until the 6 - 7 hour mark. I was a little skeptical when other beauty lovers were comparing these blushes to the likes of baked blushes, but after weighing in all the qualities, I can definitely see the similarities.


 photo P6143440_zps1d07e27f.jpg

I also forgot to tell you guys about the shade I selected - so I ended up deciding on Diffused Heat. To be honest, all the shades in this line are pretty similar to the shades I have in my collection at the moment, so I chose my favourite type of blush which is of course is pinks. Technically, Diffused Heat is classed as a "vibrant poppy" but I believe it's a medium pink with soft peach undertones. Not only does it give the cheeks a healthy glow, the formula enhances the blush to give you a brighter, more luminous look. I've been using Diffused Heat for the past week and everyday someone new has approached me and has complimented my complexion. I couldn't figure out what it could have been as I always do my makeup the same just swap the products around, but I do believe it was the blush. 

 photo P6143444_zpsef9d7178.jpg

All in all, the Ambient Lighting Blush surely did not disappoint this blogger, if anything it has made me want to collect every other shade in the collection. If you haven't had the chance to test these out already, I do highly recommend that you do. Oh and for those who haven't had the chance to dip your toe in the "high end" blush pool, I do suggest you start off with Hourglass because you will definitely be getting your moneys worth! The Ambient Lighting Blushes are available in 6 shades and can be found at Mecca Cosmetica in Australia or at Sephora for those living internationally.

14 comments :

  1. Diffused Heat is so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been lusting over this for so long.. and there is no way I can get it without paying a ridiculous sum of money! :-|

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Diffused Heat would probably be the shade I would choose too. It looks so lovely, but very much a standard me shade haha :) I will admit when I swatched in store I was a bit disappointed with how sheer it was, but you have reassured me that it would look good on the face! Don't know if I could splurge though!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is gorgeous, and it looks even better swatched too! Need it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have been fighting the need to buy this blush, I just can't justify spending so much on a single product. But my god, it is bloody beautiful! I've been researching which shade I should I get when I eventually cave in and I didn't really consider this one, it looks gorgeous though!

    Chantalle x
    ceceandgrace.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh it's so gorgeous! I love that shade, totally my kind of colour too. I love the soft peachy ness and the soft glow of it too!

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I am just like you! It hurt my heart to even swipe my finger around this blush to do a swatch because it's so beautiful! I'm loving this blush and I'm glad you are too! I think we need to add more in our collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! These are just make up heaven. I think these blushers are one of the prettiest products out there and I would own them all if my bank account allowed it!

    Laura xx

    Maquillagemagic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. No way is that a poppy shade, but I must admit, it's rather pretty after its blended out. I'm waiting to splurge on the Ambient Lighting powders at Sephora. Glad to know that the raves are well-deserved! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shade is a stunner and I've been so envious of those who have it because it just looks so damn luxe! I love glowing cheeks, baked blushes are definitely the way to go with the need of a highlighter! I don't think I'll be picking any up though, they are really pricey for what they are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color looks amazing!! love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is soooo pretty. I super like the shade and the packaging as well. Its a must try indeed!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!