14 Feb 2014

Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser VS Benefit POREfessional

I recently had the pleasure of testing out the new Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser. Now I don't know about you but I've been seeing this product everywhere over the blog and YouTube community. I normally wouldn't jump onto the bandwagon, unless I know that it is worth buying, but after seeing countless reviews comparing Baby Skin or the Benefit POREfessional, I knew I needed to give it a go. Now I'm not sure whether this has been released (or will ever be released) here in Australia,which I was pretty bummed about, but I was however very fortunate to have been given this by a friend who recently traveled overseas. 

So let's find out whether this drugstore primer really does compare to (my holy grail primer) POREfessional.

 photo P2112720_zps3221850e.jpg

As some of you may know, Benefit's POREfessional has been a staple of my makeup collection for quite some time now. I've featured it in countless empties posts (as I like to slather it on my face everyday) and I'm thoroughly impressed with it's pore erasing goodness. Not only does it temporarily erase my pores, it also makes my foundation stay on for longer and my complexion appear less oily. If there was anything (and I'm finding it quite difficult) that I could fault about this product would be the price. POREfessional retails for a wooping $53 here in Australia, which is absolutely absurd but because I do love it so much I'm willing to pay the steep price. 

Introducing the Maybelline Baby Skin. When I heard there was a product that was comparable to the POREfessional but only a faction of the price - I was thrilled. I love when drugstore brands bring out products that are dupes for their high-end counterparts. Now the only question left is - is this an actual dupe?

 photo P2112723_zps03c72721.jpg 
In my honest opinion, as much as I hoped it would be, the answer is no. 

Before I get into the comparison, here are some facts about Baby Skin: 

- Blurs the look of pores, without clogging them.
- Transparent gel formula, goes on clear.
- Smoothes & refines skin's appearance 
- Non-comedogenic & fragrance free

I would also like to mention that I like to apply this product with my hands only my t-zone area, like I usually would with the POREfessional. 

 photo P2112724_zps75d976a1.jpg

The Maybelline Baby Skin not only looks different (POREfessional is flesh toned whereas the Baby Skin is clear) but also has a different effect on my oily/combination skin type. The main differences I found, is that Baby Skin is unable to keep the oiliness at bay and certainly does not make my makeup last any longer. If anything, it seems as though this product is only useful for miminising pores.

After a couple hours of wear, I could already see oil appear on my t-zone area where as when using POREfessional I would only see oil at the end of the day. Similarly with keeping the foundation in place. Every time I applied Baby Skin my foundation ended up being quite patchy by the end of the day with my t-zone area being completely foundation free and other areas still in tact.

As I mentioned before, the only positive note I can say about this product is that it did minimise my pores and made it easier to apply foundation as it provided a smooth canvas. Oh and the packaging is insanely cute also. 

Another factor I have noticed with the Baby Skin is that it kind of has a oily texture but does dry with a silicone like finish. Therefore it's important to wait a few seconds before whacking on your foundation. However, when I use the POREfessional, I dive straight into the foundation straight away.

 photo P2112726_zps45817169.jpg

I do want to mention though that this may be only be the case for oily skin types, as it could work extremely well for normal/dry skin types as you wouldn't be hassled with the oily skin factor. Now, I do want to clarify that the Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser has not claimed to be a primer, it only claims to erase pores, which it does successfully achieve. However, this post has been constructed to compare the Baby Skin to the POREfessional.

Now that has been said, I can safely suggest that you should buy the Maybelline Baby Skin if you're looking for an inexpensive ($7USD) pore eraser. However, if you want a pore eraser and a primer in one, definitely opt for POREfessional.

What are your opinions on Baby Skin? 


11 comments :

  1. If it's ever released here, I might give it a go! I don't have oily skin, so I just use the Porefessional to erase pores/as a primer, and it'd be interesting to compare my experience to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seems interesting to try :D
    Nice post ^^
    mind to followback my GFC?:)
    iamfoodeater.blogspot.com
    Thankyou^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah it's not a dupe, but at least it doesn't oversell itself. It does what is promised which is good! The POREfessional price is ridiculous here, but much cheaper in the US - should've asked your friend to pick you up one of those too! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to pick this up soon. My skin isn't overly oily, so fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, I've been seeing this everywhere in the UK recently! My skin is normal/dry so I think I might have to try it out x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tested it once in a drugstore, on my boyfriend's large pores. Baby Skin didn't improve the appearance of the pores at all. Good thing I didn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...interesting. This seems like a great product to try out. I think I need this one since I am having problems with my skin lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the review :) I think I will just try out the Porefessional rather than the baby skin. It seems like it's just getting a bit over hyped at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting post ^^ i never tried them both before
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baby’s skin is different to adult skin and needs extra special care throughout the first years of life. So always use gentle baby skin care products, developed especially for babies.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!