3 Sep 2013

Review: Maybelline Color Whisper Lipstick in Oh La Lilac & PinkPossibilities


When Priceline had their 50% off Maybelline sale last week I took the opportunity (I practically ran to the closest store) to try out the beloved Color Whisper Lipsticks. Every Tom, Dick and Harry (and probably their grandmas) has been raving about these lipsticks, so I thought it would be a good time to jump on the bandwagon and pick up for 50% off.  So do theses live up to the hype?

 photo P8170511_zps5c3a0897.jpg


As always I’m going to start off with the packaging - Maybelline gets an A+. I love it when lipsticks are shaped into a rectangle tube, not only does it make storing a breeze, it just all over looks sleek and sophisticated. The matching lid and lipstick shade is also a winner in my books. It makes searching for the right colour quick and simple, I loathe looking through and opening every single lipstick I own just to find one lipstick. The writing on the side of the lid looks a little tacky in my opinion but nevertheless a nice touch. The only fault I did find with the Color Whispers is something I've noticed with all Maybelline lipsticks and that's the cheap, plastic feeling of them. Understandably drugstore brands aren’t supposed to feel similar to the likes of Yves Saint Laurent lipsticks but does it have to feel so inferior? I can already foretell the lids of these lipsticks cracking if I accidently dropped them on the floor..
 photo P8170512_zpse260df93.jpg

Moving straight onto the ultimate questions: Is this worth the hype? 

Regrettably, no. 

If you don't know already, Maybelline Color Whisper Lipsticks are made with the intention to be used as a sheer but 'buildable' lipstick. Maybelline describes it to be a 'pure color pigments suspended in a weightless gel. No heavy waxes or oils. Soft, sexy gel-color'. Although I do think this description is spot on, if I'm going to be wearing a lipstick I want it to be noticeable. I find that the Color Whisper are way too much on the sheerer side of things, even more so than their counterpart The Revlon Lip Butters. I was quite fond of the Lip Butters but I also found them to be accentuate the dry patches I had on my lips as the product was so soft and buttery it would seep into the crevasses. Unlike the Lip Butters the Color Whispers certainly don't do that to me.  

 photo P8170514_zps5f194bc3.jpg
 photo P8170519_zpsc8b2b71e.jpg
 photo P8170516_zps34399e0f.jpg

When in the tube and swatched the Color Whispers look like the ultimate to die for lipsticks, but when applied onto the lips the colour pay-off is so-so. As you will see in my lip swatches below the opacity doesn't look half bad, but that's because I layered and layered and layered and layered and when I was finished layering I layered 5 more times. I undoubtedly put on at least 6 coats just to reach this pigmentation. On the other hand they do glide onto the lips smoothly and feel quite moisturising and comfortable. 

The other factor that is a let down for me is the staying power. Because of their light texture and glossy finish the colour fades within an hour or two of wear. This also causes the product to slip and smudge around your mouth if you're not careful, however it isn't as noticeable as other lipsticks as it isn't as pigmented. 

 photo P8170520_zps777ad7b1.jpg


The Maybelline Color Whispers is available in 20 shades that vary from light pinks to smouldering berry tones. The two colours I purchased are Oh La Lilac and Pink Possibilities. I won't go into too much detail on the colour as the name pretty much speak for themselves. But I will mention that I have read other bloggers reviews (they're everywhere at the moment!) and have heard that the coverage of the Color Whispers differ depending on the the colour, in most cases the darker the shade the more opaque it turns out. 

Now, there is a big possibility that the two shades I picked up are on the sheer end, so now I'm contemplating whether or not I should purchase more darker shades just to do a comparison. What do you think?

 photo Maybellinelipswatch_zps4e9b8aea.jpg

Overall I don't believe the Color Whispers are worth the hype, but I won't be certain until I've tried a few of their darker, proclaimed more pigmented shades. At the moment I think the Color Whispers are great for those on the go individuals who just need to chuck on something quick, simple and don't need a mirror. 

These guys retail for $16.95 at Priceline, Big W, Kmart, Target and supermarket stores but can surely be found for a cheaper price as there are always sales on Maybelline. 

If you have any recommendations on which shades to try, please let me know!


34 comments :

  1. I have one of these that was gifted to me.. I really like it but I totally agree that it's not worth the hype. $16.95 for a glorified lip balm is a joke, and there's no way I would pay it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, they swatched so beautifully... Kind of glad I resisted these in the sale. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mine..... lovely colours..... ;-)

    Have a very great day

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like the sheerness, but I have to agree about the lip butters. They made my lips 60 years older :(

    FMWL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink possibilities is pretty one. These are overpriced for sure USD 17 too much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pink Possibilities looks so pretty on you! I picked up Lust for Blush at Priceline's 50% off sale which I'll do a post on soon. I like the colour I picked but I agree about the problems with the formula - for me, I find it too creamy and it does tend to seep into lip lines. Sorry these were disappointments to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, $16.95 is a no go! I actually really like Pink Whisper but I paid less than half that for it. If it cost more, I certainly would never even glance at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a bit pricey but they look really nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice color! and looks good on you..
    http://www.whatsyourbeautysecrets.blogspot.com
    http://corasdailylogin.blogspot.com
    I follow you already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard people raving about these but I really don't need more lippies! Thank you for your review pointing out the bad bits about them. It's a shame they are sheer and too creamy. I think I'll probably give these a miss!

    x Tashi
    http://shiwashiful.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely colours! Maybe not worth the hype, but definitely worth wearing more often :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think they're too expensive, but they look so lovely!

    Sandra - The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful colours! Pink Possibilities #65 looks pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was considering getting Pink Possibilities next :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colours look really nice on you =)
    I had the red one in my hands during the 50% off sale but decided against it at the last minute.
    xxx Kat

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY GOSH I felt the same! It's such an over hyped product. I like it but don't think they're worth the money and I don't think that I'll get much use out of them.. I'm glad I purchased on sale. Both shades look stunning on you though!

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
  18. I picked up Pink Possibilities at the sale because I was looking for a sheer pink lipstick/balm.
    I'm happy with this lipstick in serving that purpose; the colour is gorgeous but I do feel that these are a bit overpriced!

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful shades, shame we cannot get these in the uk!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you, I don't think they are worth the hype. But the packaging is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are absolutely gorgeous shades but what a shame they aren't worth it! :(

    I'm giving away a MAC Lipstick on my blog if you'd like to enter!
    http://abigailalicex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the review. I think I will pass on these but I definitely think you should try a darker shade!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't have any of those lipsticks, but they look great on you! It's a shame you don't find them as good as the others you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The shades look gorgeous, though I haven't come across these yet in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow I love them ! sincerely a bit pricey for me...xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, they look really nice on your lips ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They look so pretty with the swatches, it's a shame you need soo many layers to see the colour! It does look pretty however it wouldn't take long to go through one lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was considering getting these but wont now ,i would rather get the lip butters.thank you

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!