9 Jul 2013

Review: NYX Jumbo Lip Pencils in 712 Plush Red & 730 Almond

It is no secret that there has been an outrageous lip crayon faze within the beauty community within the last year or so. Almost every cosmetic brand has now formulated their own lip crayons/pencils/whatever-you-want-to-call-them, and due to this abundant incoming flow not many brands have caught my attention. This however changed when I stumbled across NYX's Jumbo Lip Pencils. Although these Jumbo Lip Pencils aren't new to the scene at all (they've actually been on the market for quite some time now) they were new and exciting to me. Oh and Of course the extra 40% Cherry Culture was having on NYX items made me lust over these lip pencils even more. 

 photo P6220021_zps3db516d6.jpg


One thing I detest about lip crayons is that they can be very drying and make the creases in your lips stand out horribly. I'm sure most of you make-up aficionado know all about NYX's Jumbo Eye Pencils and have experienced the marvellous changes it can create for your dramatic eyeshadow looks. This was also one of the reasons why I was intrigued by these Jumbo Lip Pencils - I mean the resemblance is uncanny, I was just hoping/praying the formula, longevity and consistency is the same, as the Jumbo Eye Pencils are extremely creamy and pigmented. 

 photo P6220025_zps5fe3f04b.jpg

So the two shades (out of the humongous 30 shade collection) I ended up picking out were Plush Red 712 and Almond 730. Both of these are definitely not my go to colour choices when it comes to lip products, but I thought I would mix it up a little and purchase a shades that I didn't already own. 

Plush Red 712 is a stunning vibrant cranberry red which reminds me gorgeous cabaret dancers and the Moulin Rouge. Almond 730 on the other hand is a peachy nude shade. Almond was a massive disappointment in my books - not only did the colour look ghastly against my yellow based skin tone (it literally made my lips blend into my complexion) it was also not as nourishing and comfortable on the lips. I've been on the hunt for the perfect nude lip shade for my complexion but I guess the search will have to continue. 

 photo P6220028_zps7f6f37f3.jpg

From the arm swatches below both shades looks stunning and impressively creamy. Plush Red definitely stepped up to the plate whereas Almond fell away into the background. Plush Red was a breeze to apply, not only did it glide on perfectly it was also very precise. I did have a little difficulty with the product sliding around my mouth but it didn't actually bleed into the fine lines around my mouth. The pigmentation and creaminess is definitely on point when it comes to Plush Red, the only tip I do have with this shade is to blot, blot, blot if you don't want this bad boy spreading onto your chin/cupid's bow. 

 photo P6220032_zps9b3e49e0.jpg

The lip swatch of Almond alone speaks for itself. Comparing it to Plush Red, Almond makes my lips noticeably more drier and cracked. The product itself has seeped into the fine lines of my lips and the colour makes me look dead. I was certainly not as impressed with Almond than I was with Plush Red. Almond also felt as though it was sitting on top of my lips, which subsequently made the colour become patchy and not long lasting at all. 

 photo nyxswatch_zpseecf8230.jpg

Although I am terribly put off by the disastrous effects of Almond, I'm really impressed with Plush Red's results. I am interested in picking a few more shades of these Jumbo Lip Pencils and being at such an affordable price ($2-$5 depending on where/when you buy these) you just can't go wrong. I definitely don't think I will be purchasing any other nude shades from the range, but I have been eying out some of those pinks/mauve shades!

These Jumbo Lip Pencils are definitely a great alternative to wearing a lipstick. I would say these are the perfect combination of a lipstick and lip pencil as you get the creaminess of a lipstick but the pigmentation of a lip liner. The ease of application makes it a quick and easy on-the-go lip product that you can simply chuck inside your hand bag!


Have you tried the NYX Jumbo Lip Pencils?


23 comments :

  1. i love the plush red :)

    http://ourbittersweetaddiction.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of these! Plush Red looks super gorgeous!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are stunning colors! Almond look like a nice nude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, the colours are really, really pretty! Thank you for the review! *__*

    Junniku blog [Click!]
    - A Korean fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colours!

    www.victoria-emma.blogspot.co.uk

    Vickyy

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almond gives, what I like to call, "concealer lips"

    Beauty By Telie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow 'Plush Red' is incredibly pigmented :)
    Amy x
    A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are they twist up ones or do you need to sharpen them?

    Was shipping and delivery good with cherryculture? I haven't purchased from them before.

    xxx Kat

    http://katnesslifeandloves.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, do you have a piercing in your lips ;)
    How can you apply the Lip pencil?
    Both color are awesome :)
    I love nude lipstick/lip pencil, and the red ones

    http://sweetymeow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! I love the red, I can imagine the other pinky, orangey color probably would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never tried these but they look amazing! Love the how 'in your face' the red is!!!

    join my magazine subscription giveaway: vodka-latte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow the red looks gorgeous! I'm not convinced that almond colour would look good on anyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love their eye pencils, and these lip ones look just as amazing. That nude colour is perfect!

    www.voguevandal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post!
    I really detest those moments when you think you've found a great nude shade and it doesn't suit your complexion at all! :(

    It's so hard finding that perfect nude!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That red lipstick looks so bold and daring! Looks really great with your lip piercing! :D

    Lynn | Makeup With Tea

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh I so want to try these! :) I love matte lips.

    <3Jo
    www.thelittledandy.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Red color looking awesome....
    check other good colors at majorbrands.in

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm I see, Almond doesn't really work out! That's kind of how MAC Myth looks on me, unfortunately! However Plush Red is stunning! I would have thought these were more like lip liners, but definitely not! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Plush red so pretty colour! My wishlist XD

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!