2 Jul 2013

Review: MAC Lipsticks in Viva Glam Nicki, Chatterbox & Syrup

I don't know what it is but MAC lipsticks are one of my favourite items to purchase. Maybe it's the bullet packaging, or maybe the vast array of shade choices, either way MAC lipsticks are highly coveted by all. If you saw my last post on my most current haul you would have seen that I picked up 3 lipsticks in Viva Glam Nicki, Chatterbox & Syrup. 

 photo P6260046_zps3ad15f0f.jpg


As most of you know MAC lipsticks come in different finishes and coincidentally all 3 of the lipsticks I decided to pick up are different. There are 9 different finishes to MAC lipsticks, if you would like to see what the difference to each one is head over to my old MAC Lipstick Collection post where there is a description of what each finish involves. 

 photo P6260053_zps76fe8745.jpg

As you can see from the labels and the boxes Viva Glam Nicki is a Satin finish, Chatterbox is a Amplified Creme and Syrup is a Lustre

The way I like to explain the difference of these three is:


  • Satin provides a glossy finish but still has a drying effect on the lips similar to that of matte lipsticks and are very pigmented. 
  • Amplified Creme is also very pigmented however it doesn't have the same drying effect as that of matte and satin finishes. It feels very moisturising on the lips, but because of the creaminess it can bleed and slip around the mouth area. 
  • Lustre finishes are quite sheer and tend to give you a 'wet', lipgloss look. However, Lustres can be layered to provide more pigmentation/colour to the lips. 

 photo P6260061_zpsbd7100cc.jpg

From the three different finishes I find Lustre to be the most comfortable to wear for an everyday basis. Syrup is also quite a lovely shade and is perfect for the colder months we're enduring here in Australia. I've been eyeing out Syrup for quite some time now, I think the first time I was interested about this product was when Allison or Amarixe on YouTube was raving about this shade in one of your favourites videos and then most recently when Estée or EssieButton featured Syrup in her top 5 favourite MAC lipsticks. 

 photo P6260067_zpsb749ffc6.jpg

As you can see the following arm swatch is a little deceiving as it makes Viva Glam Nicki and Chatterbox look quite similar, once you compare the two on the lips you can see a big difference!


You can also see how Syrup is much less creamy/pigmented and has more of a glossy look than the previous two. 


 photo P6260077_zpsc5a34c50.jpg

Viva Glam Nicki is described as a 'bright yellow pink' on the MAC website. To me, VGN is the perfect barbie pink lipstick with a slight hint of coral. If you're looking for a pop of colour this lipstick is certainly the way to go. As you can see from the lip swatch it was a little drying and it did seep into the creases of my lips. However, I have worn this a couple of times without swatching/applying other lipsticks and it felt quite comfortable and lightweight. VGM was able to last up to 3 hours on my lips (without eating/drinking) before it started to fade away. Oh and not to mention all profits made from Viva Glam Nicki goes towards all those who are affected by HIV/AIDS. Talk about a good reason to buy makeup!

Chatterbox on the other hand is a described as 'bright red-pink'. From the lip swatches below you can definitely see that Chatterbox is less bright and 'in your face' than Viva Glam Nicki. In my opinion this shade has purple/mauve undertones thus making it less bright than the standard barbie pink lipsticks. Chatterbox was incredible to wear, although it was a little slippery at first, I found that blotting it makes it a breeze to wear all day. It didn't settle into my creases or make me have that horrid dry lips look at all. I can't wait to wear this lipstick in the Spring/Summer period!


And finally we have Syrup - a 'cloudy pink'. This cool toned pink lipstick has a hint of plum undertones making it the perfect Autumn/Winter lipstick. Being a Lustre, Syrup is less pigmented and has more of a sheen look, which I don't mind at all as it means that I can get away with wearing it throughout the whole day without getting 'omg she's wearing so much makeup' looks. I would say that Syrup is one of those 'your lips but better' kind of shades and just makes you look effortlessly put together. 


 photo macswatches_zpsa096b2c6.jpg


Overall, all three of these lipsticks are stunning and definitely must have in your makeup collection! However, if I did have to choose one I would have to go with Syrup as it is more on the unique side and you'll definitely get your moneys worth out of this lipstick. 



What's your go to lipstick lately?


31 comments :

  1. Syrup is next on my list, I really like the look of it :)

    I enjoyed reading this, you've chosen some really nice shades here.

    Amy xx
    A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for this post from you! I love them all but I think Chatterbox is now on my wishlist and maybe Syrup! They're all stunning colours on you though :)

    Sarah xxx
    morethanadored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I never notice your lip piercing? Asians with facial piercings unite haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Syrup is very gorgeous! I'd never really noticed it till now. And of course, VGN looks fabulous on you! It looks so bright! If I didn't already have Candy Yum Yum, I would be seriously considering purchasing VGN :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way Viva Glam Nicki pops, but it's not horrendously bright! Syrup is a favourite amongst most, such a classic. Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Viva Glam Nicki! It's probably my favourite right now.
    I'll have to get it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own Chatterbox and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Viva glam is my fave of the lot! Love how it can brighten up a look!

    Belle Epoque
    http://the-bellepoque.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damnit I knew I shouldn't have read this. Now I've got MAC syrup on my lust list :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore VGN so much!! The other two colours look so pretty on you too, I was never really sure about Syrup but it suits your skin tone! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice shades... I like Syrup..

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look gorgeous on your lips! My go to lipstick at the moment the Revlon's Primrose. Such a pretty pink :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shades!! Chatterbox is on my to-buy list)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking of grabbing a couple of MAC lipsticks! Chatterbox looks very cute, also I surprisingly don't have very many pink lipsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post. Viva Glam Nicki is a beautiful shade!

    sparkleousbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Syrup is my favorite MAC lipstick of all time! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Syrup is my fave! Actually the viva glam lot is the best I think! :D

    with love, Cassandra xx
    http://backtofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have Viva Glam, but the other two look very nice! I'm going to check those out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving the viva glam nicki one! Chatterbox is really pretty as well (:

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want Chatterbox, it's seems to be the perfect pink in my opinion.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Viva Glam Nicki is soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. those shades are sooo gorgeous!! the Viva Glam Nicki is in my wishlist for the longest time, such a perfect colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've got Syrup and I love it! So easy to just slap on (lol) and call it a day. It completes any day-to-day look really nicely :)

    XO, Abundance of Erica

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for clearing up the difference, I love mattes so I will look for more satins too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mac lipsticks sre so pretty!! Viva glam niki is now in my wishlist ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look so lovely! Although if I were to choose just one I'd go with Syrup as well. It seems like the kind of lippie to pick up when you don't know what to do with your face. It looks super wearable, definitely checking this out soon! xx

    I love your blog btw. I'm an instant follower! xx

    somegirlnamedjem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!