20 May 2013

Review: MAC's Definitely Defined Extra Dimension Skinfinish

A few weeks ago I went on a spontaneous shopping trip with a friend, where of course I ended up at the MAC counter. Oh why does everything at the MAC counter look so beautiful?! Needless to say, I got sucked in (pushed by my friend actually, haha) and ended up purchasing MAC's limited edition Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Definitely Defined. I was about to purchase the infamous Soft and Gentle, but decided on Definitely Defined as it's limited edition and would be able to pick up Soft and Gentle whenever I wanted. Oh and the pretty detailing kind of made me swoon..

 photo P5169469_zps74d9995f.jpg


Definitely Defined is one of three Extra Dimension Skinfinishes MAC released in their Summer 2013 collection. Unlike previous collections, this year MAC decided to create a product with that enables you to highlight and sculpt. Thus the two different shades in the pan. The lighter shade in Definitely Defined is described as a silvery pink, whereas the darker shade is a soft rose with shimmer. When swirled together, the two colours create a soft pinky-peach with a golden sheen. 

The sales assistant at the MAC counter tested both Definitely Defined and Soft and Gentle on each cheek. I think Definitely looks more subtle than Soft and Gentle, it's more of a natural highlight and blended extremely well into my skin. I hate highlighters that leave a trail of glitter across the high points of your cheek and look terribly unnatural. I might as well just sprinkle glitter all over my face and call it a day. 



 photo P5169473_zps91132724.jpg

MAC claims on the Extra Dimension Skinfishes:

A liquid-powder highlighter with prismatic reflections that sculpts, highlights and models the face. The cool, creamy near-fluid formula creates a luminous, well-defined finish. Wears 10 hours.
Definitely Defined, in my opinion, would look stunning on paler skintones. The lighter shade would look beautiful as a highlight whilst swirling it together would make for a great blusher. For a medium skintone gals like me, this is such a excellent highlighter. 

 photo P5169471_zps71781e98.jpg
 photo P5169476_zps93c74886.jpg


For wear time, this can last up to 6-7 hours on me depending on the type of day I'm having. After that, the perfect highlighted sheen wears aways and becomings slightly patchy. So much for 10 hours wear!

Most frequently, I will use a brush (fan brush or a tulip shaped brush) to apply this - I find it much easier to blend out than using my fingers. However, when I do want to have a more intense finish, I will add a little extra on top with my ring finger. Unfortunately though, I do find that every time I dip my finger in it really chips away at the product. I think it's because this skinfinish is very powdery. 

Here are the swatches - Lighter Shade, Darker Shade & Swirled together. 


 photo P5169481_zps2eecf18b.jpg
(Indirect Natural Lighting)
 photo P5169485_zps5e13bbf4.jpg
(Direct Natural Lighting)

Overall, I really do love this highlighter, and I can see myself reaching for this over other highlighters in my collection. 

Of course, the only downfall is the price. This highlighter will set you back a hefty $55 here in Australia (regular mineralised skinfinishes are $47) and is available at any MAC counter in Myer or DJ's or standalone stores. Luckily for me the friend I was shopping with works at Myer and therefore receives a cool 20% discount, you can do the math on that one. It's not much, but anything is better than nothing!

Let me know if you've tried any MAC Skinfinishes and what are your thoughts on them!


17 comments :

  1. I have this and also Shape for Future which is a bit darker but find myself grabbing this one more. I use this mostly on my cheeks as a blush and it gives the most natural glow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty. My friend got two of these when they released in a previous collection. They are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks beautiful! i really want to try it.

    jess xx
    dotofdaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I can see why you went with this highlighter it is stunning! the colours and finish are gorgeous its like a mixture between lightscapade and soft and gentle xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks super pretty! I wanted to get Soft and Gentle but this looks much nicer! I'll have to have a look next time I'm at MAC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This highlighter looks really beautiful and I like the way that you're able to wear it in 3 different ways which is always great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh this looks gorgeous! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh that does look lovely! I can't decide if I prefer golden or pink highlighters.
    The design is sooo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was on the search for new highlighters! A bit pricey but looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous product! Adorable packaging =]

    vodka-latte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm generally not a fan of the MAC Skinfinishes, the make me feel as if my face is covered in glitter. Don't know if I would pick this up either I like highlighters with a simple sheen rather than reflective bits.
    Take care!
    <3 Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow~ Nice highlighter! :'D The colors look nice, but it's a bit too shimmery for my taste. *A* Regardless, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love these! So much nicer than soft and gentle, I need this product xx


    www.voguevandal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems nice! The colors are so gentle
    Maybe we can follow each other~
    http://lexiluthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely Defined is such a beautiful highlighter! I have Soft & Gentle and I've been using it regularly since I bought it - love it to bits :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's looks great..
    I wanna try too..
    Thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!