31 Mar 2013

Review: Too Faced Brow Envy Kit

Being a big lover of filled in eyebrows and the 'strong eyebrows look', it's natural to want to try every eyebrow product out on the market. When a good friend of mine bought the Too Faced Brow Envy kit for me for my birthday I could not contain my excitement. This Kit, along with Benefit's Brow Zings, has been lusted over for more than a year now and I'm so happy to have received it!

 photo P2178803_zps5a5bb3fe.jpg

Brow Envy claims to provide 'the perfect brows and instant attitude' to all users. 'Too Faced's fool-proof kit that will have you arched, defined and framed like a star'. The kit contains a setting wax, cream highlighter, two brow powders -blonde and brunette-, tweezers, spoolie, angled brow brush, brow pencil, stencils and a guide to using the kit. 

 photo P2178807_zpsaa82f458.jpg

As you can see the kit does come with a lot of different components in one some-what travel friendly size (especially if you compare this to something like Sigma's Brow Designs Kit, it's massive!). The only thing that I think this kit needs is a mirror!

 photo P2178808_zps6900c6a3.jpg

The packaging of this kit is made of sturdy cardboard which makes it quite light and also another plus for travelling. The packaging is also quite girly and feminine, but also very eye-catching and sophisticated. It is a tad bulky but when you consider all the different elements this kit contains, it's quite compact. 

 photo P2178811_zps496a6c37.jpg

In all honesty, I did not follow the guide of the kit at all. I took a look at the stencils provided and knew none of them would suit me at all. In addition to that they looked hard to work with and totally not suitable to my eyebrow shape. I did have a go at using the stencils after using this kit a couple of times and my hypothesis was correct. All the shapes were way too wide and/or arched too high for my forehead. It made my typical asian eyes look awkward and out of place. 

The brow pencil provided was actually quite useful. The colour of the pencil was in between the blonde and brunette brow powders and made creating sharp lines a dream. It was easy to blend and just a overall a great brow pencil. 

 photo P2178812_zps0447c520.jpg

The cream highlighter in this kit was a little on the disappointing side. First off, I would have liked to have a powder highlighter instead as it's less harsh and less prone to wearing off during the day. Another reason it was a little disheartening was that it was way, way, way too light for my MAC NC30 skin tone. Although I tried to blend away as much as possible I still had a very visible 'white' line on my brow bone and trust me, it did not look attractive at all. 

The setting wax on the other hand is a definitely a big hit. Usually when I don't use a brow setting wax, my crisp angled brows are slightly smudged by the end of the day. However, when setting it with this wax they stay perfect all day long!

 photo P2178815_zpsa00fb44d.jpg

I also love using the angled brush that comes in the kit as it helps to create that perfect fine tail and arch as it's so small and precise. The spoolie also comes in handy to comb through the brows and blend the powder and hairs together to make it look more natural. 

However regular washing of these tools is necessary as it can make the inside of your kit look quite dirty and messy. I can definitely speak from experience of this. 

 photo P2178816_zps256b5cff.jpg

And lastly - the brow powders. Alhough I do have quite dark hair, I tend use the lighter blonde shade of a regular day to day. The Blonde brow powder compliments my existing eyebrow hair quite well and doesn't make it look too artificial. I do however use the brunette shade if I want my brows to be a little darker and frame my face a tad more, especially when I'm actually wearing a full face of make-up, eyeshadow included. 

What makes these brow powders different to the Stila Brow Set I've been loving is that I find these Too Faced ones to be a little more long wearing and slightly more colour matched to my normal brows. I do love both equally, but I seem to have been reaching for this kit over the Stila Brow Set - probably due to the fact that I like to play with new and shiny products!

 photo P2178819_zps6c883b39.jpg
(eyebrow pencil, setting wax, highlighter, blonde & brunette)

Overall, this is a great kit to have in your collection. If you're just starting out with experimenting with your brows, I definitely recommend that you try out this kit - it pretty much has everything that you would need plus more. For me though, I wish they hadn't had put in the brow stencils and made that extra tiny compartment for them. If they took out the stencils and made the packaging small it would be my new favourite brow product!

You can pretty much pick this bad boy up from anywhere. I suggest picking it up from either ASOS or Beautybay as they both have free international shipping! Oh and it retails for appox $45 AUD.

Have you tried Brow Envy before? What's your favourite eyebrow product?
xo

37 comments :

  1. This looks so great, although I must admit I am pretty disgraceful when it comes to my brows - there are just so many other more enjoyable things to think about like eyeshadow, lipstick and blush! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that really looks like the best brow kit I've ever seen !! This is going on my wishlist now xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This kit looks so cute! I quite like the packaging and how nice it is of Too Faced to include instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this kit seems to be quite nice to have, the brow powders look ok to me, and not red-toned as some other brow powders too, which it a plus. Too bad that the kit doesn't come with a mirror, it would've been perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. seems lika a great kit! thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I already have very thick brows. I don't do anything with them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a really nice palette xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a handy kit! I need to start doing something with my terrible brows! Thanks for the review!


    lilynotlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank's for the review.. I'll try this eyebrow kit..! XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, what a gorgeous kit! ^^

    joyjoii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always loved too faced~ and oh, it comes with stencils. looks similar to NYX brow kit o:

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really good!
    I would prefer a powder highlight too.
    I am terrible at doing my brows, they always look so fake! :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a MAC NC 25-30 with black hair so I can see where you're coming from with the highlighter - it's nice that brunette shade looks dark enough! I just use one brow color - Bobbi Brown's eyeshadow in Mahogany. I recently bit the bullet and tweezed my own brows, but I went a bit too far with my left brow, so I think I'll leave them for a month and get a pro to do them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh I'm not sure how I feel regarding how they included a shade for blonde and brunette in the same packaging - I think I would rather have a bigger quantity of product in the shade that suits me x

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is such a nice set! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  16. aww so cute and useful!

    xoxo
    rheapunya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. i haven't tried brow envy, but i have an anastasia kit

    ReplyDelete
  18. That kit looks amazing!! I want one now :( Damn you Dawn!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like an awesome kit, way better then the Sigma one just based off of the size alone! I haven't actually used a kit that has came with stencils and tweezers and all that, personally it's probably just a waste for me because I'd just use the powders & wax and occasionally the highlighter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh I think I may have to give this a go! I'm terrible with my eyebrows, I need to buy this! ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds nice, however I constantly get annoyed that with brow kits, I will never use the brunette colours! This tends me make me buy my brow gel and brow powders individually.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've only just started filling in my eyebrows. This kit sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks brilliant, I find it hard to find a suitable eyebrow colour being blonde but the blonde colour in this looks perfect xxx

    loveontopxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so great! I'd love to try it

    ReplyDelete
  25. this looks brilliant. i've been looking for a new brow kit :) x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh, I'd love to try this product! I've been using Anastasia products, and I think they're good, although I haven't tried much else!

    Ellie | Ellalogy 

    ReplyDelete
  27. great kit,, will try this one when my etude house finished :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seems like a very versatile kit for eyebrows! the colours look so natural also.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That brow kit looks so cute and I want to try the stencils. :) I am putting this on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!