8 Dec 2012

Australis Haul & Review - Face-A-Holic, Nudist Palette, Totes Smokin' Palette & Finishing Spritz

During my weekly browse of the beauty isle at my local Target I found a few bargains from Australis that I needed to pick up. If you're not familiar with the brand Australis, it is a popular Australian cosmetic brand. The Australis section in my local Target is usually quite empty and doesn't have a large variety of products available. Fortunately on this occasion, Target were selling a few of Australis' palettes for as little as $4! How crazy is that! What makes this bargain even better is that I've been looking for the Nudist and Totes Smokin' Palette for the longesttttt time and I finally found them at an incredible price!

When I first saw the price tag for each of the three items I bought I could not believe my eyes! I thought it may had been a misprint or something, because although Australis is quite a decently priced Australian make-up brand, I had never seen it this dirt cheap before! I cannot fathom how incredibly fast I snatched up these 3 palettes - I had to stop myself from running to the counter and paying for them. Haha, okay maybe I wasn't that eager, but you can catch my drift. 


First up is the Face-A-Holic jumbo sized mirrored compact. Now when it says jumbo sized, it really means jumbo sized! It is absolutely massive which certainly has it's pros and cons. Obviously, because it is quite large, the mirror inside is very decently sized. I hate products that include a mirror inside the packaging, but it's so tiny that you can see half of your eye at a time. What is the point? A mirror shouldn't even be included in the first place! Another good thing about the palette being big is that more product is included - this bad boy is has a whopping 45g of product - what a bargain!! The downside to this though is that it is big and does take up quite a lot of room..or (depending on how  big your make-up bag is) it is too big to fit into an average sized everyday make-up bag. However, if you think about it, because the palette does have a powder, blush and an illuminator you only need to carry ONE product, instead of THREE! So there are positives and negatives for this jumbo sized compact. In my opinion I think it would be perfect for when you're travelling and trying not to pack too many unnecessary things. 


So as I mentioned before, this compact includes a HD blusher in Flash It, pressed powder in Deep Natural and an illuminator. I actually haven't tried any of Australis' pressed powders or foundations before so I'm not quite sure what shade I am, but Deep Natural seems to match my skin tone quite well. I'm very fortunate that it does match,  as the powder would have been useless to me if it didn't. There are a few variations in the Australis Face-A-Holic compacts - I believe there is another one which includes a bronzer instead of an illuminator. But I think I'd rather the illuminator version instead of the other, because you can kind-of use the golden brown shade within the blusher as a bronzer anyways. 


All three products are very finely milled making them extremely soft and easy to blend. They all felt buttery soft when I swatched them! The only problem I do have with soft and smooth powder products is that, it can become quite messy. Because they are so soft there is quite a lot of fall out included. The blush and illuminator look stunning when blended out and actually last quite a decent amount of time. Both the blush and illuminator do complement my skin tone perfectly, which is probably what Australis was attempting to do when compiling these products together. For reference, I'm usually MAC NC30 however I am slightly darker now because I've been frolicking in the sun and unfortunately tan very easily. 


(heavily swatched)

I purchased this bad boy for a measly $5! I'm not quite sure if this was a one-time-only sale from Target or if it is permanently this cheap now because it has been out for quite a while now, but when it initially was released it was $19.95. Hopefully you lovelies will be able to grab this bargain product for $5 as well!


Next up I purchased the Nudist palette. I have been on the hunt for this palette for the longessssst time (seriously, it's been about 6 months now?) and now I have finally got my hands on it! I was so excited when I saw this -  I'm pretty sure my eyes expanded about 3 times the size when I saw it! Because I love neutral eyeshadows, it was a no brainer that when I first heard about this palette I desperately wanted to try it out. Although I already own more than enough neutral eyeshadows than a normal person needs, I just needed to have this palette in my life (yes, tragic I know). 



The palette contains 8 shimmery eye shadows. All the shadows can actually be found in other palettes or trios offered by Australis as well, just incase you can't find the palette anywhere. The packaging of this palette is very chic and sophisticated - I love that there is a clear panel on the lid so you can see the different shades included. A mirror is also included in the palette, but I personally find it a tad too small to use which can make you very frustrated. However the palette overall is compact and super convenient for travelling or make-up on the go. 


As I said before, all the shadows in this palette do have a shimmer finish to them, which is a little disappointing as I would have loved to see a matte shadow in the palette to help blend out the other shadows (crease) or a highlight colour. However in saying that, there is a lovely variety of colours available in the palette - which progressively goes from lightest to darkest. Unfortunately the first three shadows are very chalky and less pigmented than other shadows in the palette. I also though they looked very similar to one another - Australis should have just made a 6 eyeshadow palette instead of 8!


The rest of the shadows were gorgeous though! Much like the face-a-holic powders products, these eyeshadows were buttery smooth and effortlessly glided onto the skin. As you can see from the photo above the pigmentation of these shadows are absolutely insane! Although the first 3 shadows are a miss, the last 5 certainly make up for it. Overall I'm very happy I bought this palette as I can finally cross it off my make-up wishlist. Did I really need this palette in my life? Considering I own quite a few other neutral shadow palettes already, I don't think so - but if you're new to the make-up world or don't own many neutral eyeshadows this is definitely the palette for you. I bought this palette for just $4! Hopefully you can find it that affordable as well! 


And lastly the Australis Totes Smokin' eyeshadow palette. The palette contains 8 of the best-selling Australis eyeshadows which claims can be used either wet or dry. I do like the fact that Australis releases palettes that are permanently available, but I would love to see a few new or limited edition eyeshadows here and there. Hopefully they will release some new goodies soon!


Similarly with other Australis products, the packaging is tres sleek and comes with a decent sized mirror. I love the fact that most of Australis products do maximise their product size and doesn't have useless excess packaging like other brands (for example including a brush with a blusher that no one uses, therefore having that extra packaging space for the brush for no reason). 


The eyeshadows are pretty much the same like any other shadows from the Australis range - very soft, smooth and pigmented. A few of the eyeshadows are quite similar to the ones from the Nudist palette besides from the obvious light pink (3rd), blue (4th) and purple (8th) shadows. I find that with all Australis eyeshadows and a good primer I can wear them up to 7 hours before any creasing occurs - which is great. Unfortunately I haven't been able to swatch these wet to do a comparison, but for better quality swatches and the wet and dry comparison I urge you to take a look at Mishelle's post about this palette. 

(swatched dry)

I picked up this palette for as little as $4 as well which is a definitely steal. The last product I purchased was the Finishing Spritz - I've heard so many good things about this finish spray so I was quite eager to give it a go. The formula is very lightweight and quite refreshing when applied to the face. The spray pump for this though is a tad too strong for my liking - it would be better if it dispersed a finer mist. Other than that it's quite a lovely finishing spray - I do notice my make-up does last longer and less touch up's are needed when I do use it. I'm very happy with my Australis purchases (especially the face-a-holic compact as it turned out to be my favourite product of the bunch) and hopefully this has helped you decide which palette to get! Keep your fingers crossed that the prices for these won't change and that they're still available at your local Target stores! Thank you all for reading!

xo


35 comments :

  1. I'm never this lucky with bargain hunting. My local stores never have deals this good hopefully I can find these. They all look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. $4?? I MUST go to Target now (even though I'm broke). I've been searching for the Totes Smokin palette!
    And I thought the Nudist palette was long gone :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job finding such fantastic prices. The Totes Smokin palette looks great. I haven't been able to find it at any of my local targets.

    embersandtwilight.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! You picked up some amazing bargains! I'm so tempted to get the face-a-holic, but I've got so much makeup... but it's so cheap... Will have to see if my local Target has got some

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I didnt really expect those eyeshadows to be soo pigmented! :)

    lovely


    Im doing a giveaway on my blog, youre welcome to participate

    http://holaflo.blogspot.com.ar/2012/12/christmas-giveaway-100-followers.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did a little bimbo scream looking at the pictures haha :p The packaging is SO pretty and the quality looks great from your swatches (espesh for the price) Great picks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some great bargains! My local target has moved all the Australis stuff into buckets but kept it at the same price.. it looks totally unappealing. I love Target for bargains though :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice finds! I want to track down that Face-a-holic palette now :P xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. awwhh, how come we don't have those here! haha. i really want to try them, the eyeshadows look so gorgeous :) i've been meaning to try Australis for so long, i always swatch their products whenever I go to the mall. i'm just waiting for the sale since the prices here are ridiculously over-priced, booo =/ can't wait to visit Aus asap! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is an amazing deal, The Face-a-holic & Totes smokin palettes look amazing!! If I ever see them that cheap I will definitely pick them up
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely!

    Enter the giveaway on my blog to win an outfit of your choice from AX Paris just in time for Christmas and New Years!

    www.bootyfurl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely swatches, sounds like you got some nice bargains! xx

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely hauls and great review! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for doing these reviews! I was a bit hesitant to get some of these items but since they're so cheap i may as well go out and buy them!!
    x

    mintslices.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have all of these products but I didn't get any of them on sale haha! I love them just the same :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh wow that eye palette looks great!

    happy holidays!
    natalie
    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're so lucky to find these! I haven't found any of these near me! I'm really wanting the other Face-A-Holic palette but it was from last year so there's no chance. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooohhhhh NOOOO!!!! I want one of those blusher compacts desperately!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, amazing bargains! I've been hearing a lot of raves about the finishing spray so I think I might give it a go soon when Australis has a sale. I've been trying to search for the Totes smokin' palette for a while now with no luck, perhaps I need to look harder. Thanks for your Australis haul, super jealous at the prices you got everything for!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The nudist palette is just amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow

    Lovely shades of eye shadows and nice reviews
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That touch and glow compact is so awesome :D Love the Nudist palette also!

    ReplyDelete
  24. woooooow.....so many stuffs...!!!!enjoyed the pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great haul - the face-a-holic palette looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the haul!! would love the try the Nudist palette:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This review makes me really want to get the product >'<
    I hope this product'd easy to find in my country immediately ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  28. I reaaally want the Nudist palette now! and the smokin' one looks amazing. Sucks that all the Australis stands I go past are virtually empty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great haul....Loving the swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. very interesting products! I like Nudist!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am not familiar with this brand. Those are nice items. I really like the Face-A-Holic Touch & Glow.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!