5 Nov 2012

Review: NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream & Xtreme Lip Cream

Without a doubt NYX's Soft Matte Lip Creams and Xtreme Lip Creams have been deemed as any make-up lovers staple item for their collection. These two much coveted products have, of course, been on my wish list for the longest time and I'm was over the moon when I finally got my hands on them. When I purchased these babies I was going through a spending craze - hence I bought 5 of each! 



It's no secret that I'm a big lover of lip products and therefore only a select few are capable enough to win me over, so for me to rave on about a lip product is definitely intriguing. Because I do have dry lips no matter the season, it's a little more difficult to find the right products to work with. However, when I tested out the NYX Xtreme Lip Creams I was over the moon. Essentially, these Xtreme Lip Creams are  a "liquid lipstick" - meaning they have the pigmentation of a lipstick however it has the formulation of a creamy lipgloss. These are the perfect alternative for those who aren't comfortable to wear lipstick but still want something bold on their lips. I was honestly quite surprised to see the intensity of colour pay these had as well as the easy of application as it simply glided over the lips. Another amazing factor about these lip creams is that it does not dry out your lips at all - and for those dry lip girl out there this is definitely great news! You certainly will not need to top these babies off with another lip gloss on top because they are super glossy looking and not drying at all. However, because these Xtreme Lip Creams are heavily pigmented the formulation is a little on the thicker side - but definitely not in a scary way? Haha, hope that makes sense. These have definitely made me more of a lipgloss person as rarely applied lip gloss due to the stickiness, luckily though these are not sticky at all (a little tacky but nothing overwhelming)!



These lip creams are available in 11 different shades, however I feel as though they need a little more variety in colours. To me, I thought most of the lip creams were just different shades of pink. Even though I love, love, love to sport pink lips everyday I feel as though people may be limited to only a small range of colours. I would have loved to see a few more darker vampy colours in the collection! Anyways, out of the 11 shades available (Dolly Girl, Candy Land, Spicy, Buttery Nude, Bonfire, Pinky Nude, Absolute Red, Skin Tone, Strawberry Jam, Natural and Nude Peach Fuzz) I ended up with Candy Land, Dolly Girl, Strawberry Jam, Bonfire and Nude Peach Fuzz. 


(L-R) Candy Land, Dolly Girl, Strawberry Jam, Nude Peach Fuzz & Bonfire 

Now onto the Soft Matte Lip Creams, these definitely are true to their name. With their soft creamy texture and matte finish, these lip creams are easy to apply and look stunning on the lips. Similarly with the Xtreme lip creams, the soft matte lip creams are a cross between a lipstick and a gloss. I will admit, I did have a slight little problem with these at first as they do tend to stick to any dry/flakey skin on your lips, so it is reaaaallllyyyy important that you scrub your lips before applying. Otherwise, it will accentuate all the flaws on your lips! If you love matte lips but find that lipsticks are a little too drying for you, these are definitely the solution. I wouldn't go to the extent and say these bad boys are moisturising, but they definitely don't dry out your lips like other matte lip products. So these are definitely a winner in my books. Oh and the colour pay-off is insane! I cannot tell you how pigmented these babies are - seriously one layer and you're good to go!


The Soft Matte Lip Creams are also available in 11 shades (Amsterdam, Stockholm, Tokyo, London, Antwerp, Istanbul, Addis Ababa, San Paulo, Abu Dhabi, Monte Carlo & Milan), but I only picked up 5. I think the Soft matte Lip Creams have a slightly better variety in colours than the Xtreme Creams, but still lack in vampy dark colours (which sucks!!!). Anyways, both the Xtreme Lip Creams and Soft Matte Lip Creams have doe foot applicators which make it quick and easy, and also allows for precise application. I found that both of these products were very long-lasting even after eating/drinking. A couple of shades did stain my lips which did allow for a longer lasting effect as well. Oh and for packaging I love that the soft matte lip creams have a matte textured (NARS like packaging) lid, whereas the Xtreme Lip Creams have a regular plastic lid. Definitely sets apart the soft matte lip creams and the Xtreme lip creams!



These are definitely great on-the-go products as they're so pigmented, applied easily and you know that they will last you at least 3-4 hours of wear! Now for the nitty-gritty - which product is better. For me, I think I do like the Xtreme Lip Creams better for everyday use. This is because I prefer to have a nice glossy lip finish instead of a matte one. Also I find that the Xtreme Lip Cream is less hard work to wear as I need to exfoliate my lips before hand if I want to wear the Soft Matte Lip Cream. But I do definitely recommend to try both of these if you haven't! They're also extremely affordable at only $5.99 each! So an all-rounded in my opinion :)

Thanks so much for reading and let me know your thoughts if you have/haven't tried these or not!
xo


43 comments :

  1. I haven't tried these before but they look very good!!

    Come and visit my blog :)
    Sunshine & Rain

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty, very tempting... They go on my wishlist now ;)

    Love the shades you picked up.

    xoxo
    Madiha

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have the nude peach fuzz- love the colour but way too thick and sticky for me :( i really want to invest in more of their matte lip creams! it's strange because one of the creams i have is scented whereas the other smells more plasticy. Was that the case for you??

    Laura x

    demure-porcelain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving the look of Amsterdam! :) might have to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two of the Soft Matte lip creams in Addis Ababa and Antwerp - I love using Antwerp for an every day colour! Next on my list is a red one like Amsterdam. :) The X-treme lip creams look promising too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. ughh thanks now I want the extreme lip creams! Mannn they look so good! hehe.
    I have a few of the soft matte lip creams in Amsterdam(the perfect red!), addis ababa (soo bright) & tokyo (pretty light pink) & I love them too! Great review & swatches :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Soft matte one >< i only own 3 of them thou, love to wear the san paolo for everyday, the pink so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I really like Antwerp and Nude Peach Fuzz! Thanks for such a fantastic review hun, I will definitely be picking these up :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the swatches! The colors look so bright, and the textures look amazing~ >u<

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream & Xtreme Lip Cream. Big fan of NYX round lipsticks though. Btw, Istanbul is my favorite out of those swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow I've never tried them before, but they seem to be great!! *o* their pigmentation is gorgeous!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I own a few of the lip creams and I absolutely adore them!! Amazing! I really want to get more shades :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. i absolutely love these!!! the colors you bought are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a yummy post, thanks for all the swatches, very tempting indeed!! <3 Lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all so gorgeous and so incredibly pigmented! I have never tried them for some odd reason but you've convinced me that I need to get my hands on them <3

    Amy xo
    www.theprettyvain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look gorgeous! Sadly, I don't know if i can pull them off. My lips get pretty dry, xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm yet to try these but after reading your review I am oh so tempted! Even though the colours of both seem very similar and lack in any range of colours what so ever, I am still pretty pleased with the overall outcome that you have displayed. I know the feeling about dry lips...they just won't leave me alone :( I can hardly wear lipsticks due to the flaws sticking out so so much. Thanks for such a lovely review, I shall have to pick some up!! :)

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you find that the extreme ones have a strong plastic smell? I have a few of the soft matte ones, but I still like the MAC version better. They apply a lot nicer and don't look bad on dry lips xD

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the review!

    I prefer a glossy finish over a matte finish too :)

    I would love to try them out :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have 5 or 6 of the matte ones... I love them but they can be drying, I havent tried the other ones though.

    That reminds me that I need to do a blog post of these too!

    http://kitschsnitch.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  21. those look really pretty. I'll have to pick some of those up sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never tried these but I've heard a lot of good things! Lovely swatches. (:

    ReplyDelete
  23. These have been on my wishlist for a while. I will have to go pick some up! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nude peach fuzz is my fave out of the bunch!

    gl0ssi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are just the most appealing things in the world, I want them all!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. SOB. I'm so jealous!
    I've been lusting after NYX products.
    I've vowed to try them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. love those Soft Matte Lip Cream, ahhaaahhaa #woman . . . .
    maybe you need to review how its look on your lips

    how about follow another blog (‾⌣‾)♉:
    buleipotan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow they are so pigmented! I can't wait to try these out.

    www.morethanadored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. omg I am in love! I need to buy all of them xx

    http://samram1214.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey huni just thought I'd let you know MAC & OPI start on ozsale tomorrow!! eeep damn I have to work I hope I can still get some good bargains. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for the review lovely! Wow they look so pigmented and the colours are gorgeous :) I like the nude peach fuzz and bonfire for the lip creams and for the mattes, the red shade really stands out!

    ReplyDelete
  32. im in love with these lip creams!! i have the same matte lip creams like yours :) some of the matte is not really good for dry lips but you can always apply lipbalm :) i can't wait to get the xtreme lip creams, i'm going to order some soon :) thanks for the amazing review my love, great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cream/liquid lipsticks seem to be the newest thing! I think these look like great dupes for either Hourglass's or Bare Minerals' lip collections! I'm really curious as how they would feel like on my lips lol! Thanks for the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ohhh I have been eyeing these for a while, and I really want them! Love your swatches, I'm going to buy Antwerp, so gorgeous!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. NYX products are amazing nice collection......... definitely going to add this in my collection

    ReplyDelete
  36. So great pigmented, love the soft matte lip cream on Amsterdam ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the Extreme shade,,more shining I thought

    ReplyDelete
  38. I want to try the istanbul color.. so cute.. XD

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nude Peach is lovely. One day I will take a chance, and try these.

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow!! you have a number of nyx lip creams!!! my personal favorite is antwerp. You made such a nice review!

    www.ziainprint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!