20 Nov 2012

Fulfilling my NARS Wishlist

So a couple a weeks ago HQhair was having a 10%, 20% or 30% sale for members of their emailing list. Depending on the code you were given you would be eligible to receive one of the 3 promotions - unfortunately though, I wasn't able to lucky enough to receive the 30% discount but was given 20% off instead. Even so I still thought it would be silly of me not to buy something as the prices on there for brands such as NARS, Urban Decay, Stila and so much more (and of course various other brands for hair/nail/body products) are already much cheaper than what they retail in Australia, so the extra 20% would make it even more of a bargain! I decided to splurge and get two NARS products that have forever been on my wishlist, which is the Sheer Glow Foundation and the powder blush in Desire.




NARS Sheer Glow has been on the top of my foundation wish list ever since I started watching Sammi or Beauty Crush on youtube. Her skin looked absolutely flawless and airbrushed-like after she had buffed it in and I was totally in awe. So after months and months of waiting I finally decided to snatch it up. With the discount HQhair sent me I was able to grab this for only $36!!! A really great steal if you ask me considering it would cost a whooping $68 in Australian stores.


One of the best things I love about NARS products is their packaging. It's so sleek and elegant, oh and the matte/velvet type texture doesn't hurt either. Disappointingly though the Sheer Glow Foundation doesn't have a pump dispenser, meaning it makes getting the product out a hassle. I would have loved to see this foundation with a pump dispenser as it is much more hygienic, quick and hassle free to use but you just can't win everything right? Oh and to add onto the less positive factors of the packaging, the lid of the foundation is the same matte/velvet texture of the blushes mean that it does get quick dirty easily. Especially because the no pump dispenser you will be using your hands to handle the product, therefore when closing the lid whatever you have left over on your hands will transfer onto the lid. Also, the foundation is in a glass bottle so it is on the heavier side, but it just makes it look much more sophisticated. 


Formulation wise NARS Sheer Glow DOESN'T live up to it's name, but it definitely didn't disappoint my expectations. The coverage is excellent - medium but buildable, certainly not sheer - it easily evens out the skin tone and eliminates blemishes, it is extremely long lasting (especially when you wear a primer!), and has a slight matte finish (it is heighten when you pop a powder on top), so not a 'glowy' finish. Some people might may hate the fact that considering it is called sheer glow, the foundation isn't sheer nor has a dewy finish. On the plus side however it does brighten up your complexion and makes your skin look more healthy. Coming from an oily skin-type person, I find that with the right primer (I use Benefit's Porefessional) you are able to stay matte for at least 5 hours before having to powder, which is an amazing feat. 


For me, the two most effective ways to apply this foundation is to use either your hands or the RealTechniques Buffing Brush. For a more sheer effect I would normally use my fingers to gently rub it in - the heat from your hands helps the foundation work into your skin giving it a more natural finish. When using the buffing brush I find that it gives you more of a full coverage finish. However, I will say that the foundation is a lot more noticeable when you use a brush, meaning that if it is not buffed into the skin properly it will tend to look 'cakey'. So make sure you buff it in really well. Overall though I think this is an amazing foundation, it matches my skin tone perfectly (I'm NC30 in MAC foundations) and works tremendously well with my skin type. I'd certainly recommend this if you want to try a new foundation!

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in Barcelona

The next product I purchased from the promotion is my second NARS powder blush. I'm actually quite sad that I only have two NARS blushers, but why do they have to be so darn expensive?! Ahhh anyways, this blush definitely caught my eye the most as the colour is so bright - next on my list is Angelika. If I bought this bad boy in Australian stores it would have set me back $45, but I was able to get this for a measly $26! Yay, bargain!



As always, the packaging for NARS blushers/eyeshadows are amazing - large mirror, compact size, sleek look. The only thing that sucks about the packaging is that it gets dirty really quickly. But besides that, gorgeous!



NARS Desire can be described as “bright pink” shade, which is essentially a blue-based magenta pink with a mostly matte finish. Although it looks quite scary and very, very vibrant in the pan, it blends out to give your cheeks a beautiful flush. Of course, as with all other NARS blushers you will need to use a light hand during application as the pigmentation is crazy! I always tap off any excess on my brush before applying it onto my cheeks, this gives just the right amount of colour to cheeks without making you look like a china doll. I think that this is a great all round pink shade, that regardless of your complexion will match stunningly. Desire is without a doubt one of my favourite blushers at the moment as it ticks all the boxes that a blush should be!


(Heavily swatched)

Finally two of my most coveted NARS products are in my possession and I'm tremendously happy with their quality. I definitely cannot wait until I am able to get my hands on a few more, but I'm going to have to wait until next year as I promised myself I wouldn't spend anymore! Hope you guys enjoyed my review, and let me know what your thoughts are on NARS products!

Have an amazing, amazing, AMAZING day!
xo


33 comments :

  1. Desire looks just stunning :D It's definitely on my list of blushes to check out!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got these at fantastic prices! Did shipping take forever? Loving NARS a lot right now - Sheer Glow is my current foundation fav & their blushes are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous! You've got some amazing products there, these products have been on my wishlist for ages! I only own the NARS Laguna bronzer and their Tinted Moisturizer, and love both. Would love to own their Sheer Glow and their blushes! x
    Raves 'nd Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you got a great deal! Lucky thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look of Desire! I agree with your saying Sammi's skin looks amazing- I'm definitely picking up a blush of theirs soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blush looks amazing!!!

    www.rebekasbeautyworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blush is such a pretty pink, would look lovely in summer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful color<3 & I agree but, I've ended up just using a bit of my light moisturizer with the foundation and it works very nice~

    xoxo
    EV

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was kinda weary of hghair since they don't get good reviews but I might check the out now!
    The NARS blush looks lovely!
    Glad to hear you had a positive experience with the foundation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look of packaging, but that matte rubery texture is horrible for looking dirty! I only have one blush and it doesn't look like new anymore, haha.
    Love that blush! I certainly would like more NARS blushes if they wernt so expensive, either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh exciting, that blush looks gorgeous. I want so much stuff from Nars, but it is SO pricey!

    Sophierosehearts x

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOSH! You got such a good deal on those! I love love Sheer Glow, but I agree the name is misleading because it doesn't have a dewy finish and it's a medium coverage.

    That's such a pretty blush color as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. perfect pink! ive read awesome reviews on that foundation !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have yet to try any NARS blushes. Only really used nail polishes from them. Doesn't help that I can't really get hold of it where I'm living at the moment.

    That colour looks fab though, so bright! I have a similar shade from MAC and I LOVE IT, even though it does look scary in the compact! :)


    Amelia @ UGLY DUCKLING xxx

    Come say hey at Ducklingtoswan.com! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love NARS products. That pink is a beautiful color.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    Stop by and enter my Giveaway for a nail polish set, a clutch, and a necklace set.

    ReplyDelete
  16. NARS blushers are seriously to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOOh woww, I really need to grab myself a NARS blush in the near future, they're all so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Nars foundation sounds amazing :) I'll have to look into it ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that Desire blush looks so pretty! x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. so jealous, i don't ever have enough money to buy things from nars x

    http://hiyaitslaura.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. whooaa, amazing prices :) i'm so jealous, Desire is in my Nars wishlist, it looks so beautiful! i can already predict that i'm gonna hoard so much Nars blushes if ever i go to the U.S. for a holiday, haha. they're so addictive :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. the NARS foundation looks really nice! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was surprised when Sheer Glow turned out not to be sheer too! But I do love the finish it gives :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey just wondering where you got your Australis Palette's from? You left me a comment on my blog saying you got the Totes Smokin' Palette for $5?

    ReplyDelete
  25. NARS products look gorgeous! Love the packaging and the blush looks so vibrant! Glad you picked up a bargain :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my lord Angelika is smoking hot. I need her in my life! I'm looking for my HG liquid foundation - maybe i should give my MAC Studio Fix another try but idk, meh. Sheer Glow looks pretty awesome, but I think I'll stick to my Cover FX cream foundation for the heavy duty days x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nars Sheer Glow is my all time favourite foundation, it's perfection. I really want to try some of their blushes, Megan has a couple and they're really lovely. I can't justify Australian prices though so I might check out the website :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. One day, I'm going to own Desire too. It's just too pretty to be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i love nars cosmetics but they are very price fore me!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow.. I love the pink colours.. your collection is always georgeus..!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't own any NARS, i seriously want some lol!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!